Making Your Next Move: A Definitive List Of Ineligible Items For Removal

Share Post:

two people packing box

Removalists are pretty flexible.

If you really need to have something carried from one place to another, we’re quite accommodating.

But there are some items a removalist company cannot transport for legal reasons, personal safety or liability issues.

Knowing what items your removalist can and cannot move will prevent confusion and disappointment on the day of your move. 

For some items, they must be properly prepared before they can be loaded onto a vehicle. 

And they may require a qualified tradesman to attend to your property in some cases.

All of this can be tricky to remember come moving day, so we’ve put together the ultimate list of ineligible items for removal.

Explore This Guide

Attention Needed For Certain Items

  • Gas BBQ’s
  • Gardening equipment, such as lawnmowers containing flammable liquids  
  • Animals
  • Plants

Despite this, you can still hire a removal company to move them for you if you go through the steps outlined below.

  • The removalist will not transport BBQ gas cylinders unless a certification is provided by a test station certified by Standards Australia that the cylinder has been purged. No gas should be burned or simply vented into the atmosphere. 
  • Petrol should be drained from lawn mowers and other gardening equipment. Steam cleaning is also necessary if you are shipping these items interstate or into stores.
  • As a general rule, animals such as domestic fowls, livestock, etc., cannot be accepted for transport in a removal vehicle. Animals are moved by pet transporters by arrangement. We can recommend a reputable company or visit to find an approved company
  • Plants may be moved when issued with a Department of Agriculture Certificate, if moving interstate. It is up to each individual removal company to accept or reject the carriage of plants at any time

For clients who have current and appropriate licences, and provided the firearms are rendered inoperable and unloaded, we can move and store weapons.  

Nevertheless, ammunition and its components will not be moved or stored at any time.

Ineligible Items For Removal

Due to potential damages and/or serious injuries caused by the following items, Occupational Health & Safety regulations prohibit our carrying of those items, as well as those of others:

  • Aerosol Cans  
  • Weedkiller      
  • Bleach                  
  • Cooking Oils                       
  • Matches                           
  • Liquid Chlorine                                              
  • Firelighters                                                                   
  • Photographic Chemicals
  • Poisonous, Toxic, Flammable or Corrosive Liquids
  • Cleaning solvents, kerosene, methylated spirits, paint strippers, petrol, turpentine
  • Prohibited dangerous goods – Some commodities cannot be accepted for transport by air, sea or road under general conditions
  • Collections and special interest items (depending on company policy)
  • Items in unclean condition

Source: AFRA

The 9 Classes Of Dangerous Goods

There are many objects and substances that are potentially hazardous to people or the environment such as explosives and chemicals. People can be poisoned, blown up, burned or corroded by dangerous goods. Handling, storing and transporting dangerous goods should be handled carefully. Asbestos, explosives, and high-consequence dangerous goods (HCDGs) have particular risks and are subject to specific laws.

Dangerous goods substances and articles are allocated to one of 9 classes.

Class 1: Explosives

Class 2: Gases

Class 3: Flammable liquids

Class 4: Flammable solids

Class 5: Oxidising substances and organic peroxides

Class 6: Toxic and infectious substances

Class 7: Radioactive material

Class 8: Corrosive substances

Class 9: Miscellaneous dangerous substances and articles

The Australian Dangerous Goods Code (ADGC) provides more information about the classifications and divisions of dangerous goods, and if they are assigned to a packing group.

You need a licence to transport dangerous goods in quantities above set limits.

The ADGC sets out the safety requirements for transporting dangerous goods by road or rail. It covers commonly used dangerous goods, such as petrol, LPG and paints.

Perishable Items

Don’t pack anything that will spoil, rot or mould during the move. If you’re not sure what food to pack, our packing guide details how to pack the kitchen up properly. 

Food items make up the bulk of this category, and in general, chilled food items. 

Indoor and outdoor plants can also be included in this too. 

Prepare in advance and use up what’s in your fridge before moving. 

Things You Can’t Leave Out For Kerbside Collection

Items that are ineligible and cannot be placed on the footpath include hazardous waste (chemicals and oils), gas bottles, glass and mirrors, household waste (food scraps, etc), green waste, dirt and stones, bricks and concrete, commercial building waste and any other household waste that would normally go into your refuse or recycling bin. 

You can find out how to dispose of hazardous goods here.

If you need some specific info about our removalists solutions, just speak with the Gentle Giant Removals experts by calling 0404 958 455 or contact us through email. You can request a quote via this page and we will connect with you as soon as possible.