The unthinkable has happened: You’ve been evicted, or you’ve found that dream property across town and contracts dictate you have to move in right away.
For many people, a moving date is not flexible.
But COVID-19 restrictions are in place where you are, and some areas are in total lockdown.
Can you even move at a time like this?
Well, yes, if you absolutely, positively have to.
Thankfully, removalists like us are considered an “essential service”, under freight & logistics definitions by each State Government, so we’re able to move you and your belongings around.
But, there are conditions.
State-By-State COVID-19 Restrictions Apply
VIC: Relevant border passes/exemptions apply. More info here.
QLD: Hotspot and border restrictions apply. More info here.
SA: Border pass restrictions apply. More info here.
WA: Border permits are in force. More info here.
TAS: Removalists ARE exempt from requiring 14 days’ self-isolation and ARE able to move your goods interstate to your new home under the Tasmania Government definition of essential Freight & Logistics services. More info here.
ACT: No current border entry self-isolation restrictions are in place. If you’re travelling from a designated COVID-19 hot spot you may be required to get tested and self quarantine. Removalists are able to deliver your belongings. More info here.
NT: View NT border restriction information here.
If you or anyone in your house are showing symptoms of, or have been in contact with anyone with COVID-19, please let us know in advance so we can adjust safety procedures.
Can I Move Interstate?
Yes, in some circumstances, but it’s complicated. You’ll need all relevant documents filed, including proof of residence, approved exemption & approved border passes.
We are also complying with physical-distancing and hygiene protocols as part of the moving process. But, movements are subject to the requirements/protocols in each State.
Can I Move Overseas?
No. If you are an Australian citizen or a permanent resident you cannot leave Australia due to COVID-19 restrictions unless you have an exemption. You can apply online but you must meet at least one of the following:
- Your travel is as part of the response to the COVID-19 outbreak, including the provision of aid
- Your travel is for your business/employer
- You are travelling to receive urgent medical treatment that is not available in Australia
- You are travelling outside Australia for a compelling reason for three months or longer
- You are travelling on compelling or compassionate grounds
- Your travel is in the national interest.
A travel ban is in place that prevents all non-Australian citizens and non-residents from entering Australia.
People exempt from the travel ban include immediate family members of Australian citizens and permanent residents including spouses, minor dependents, legal guardians and de facto partners.
After arriving in Australia, all travellers are required to complete 14 days of quarantine.
Moving Tips During A COVID-19 Lockdown
- Consider delaying your move if at all possible;
- If you’re not feeling well, notify us immediately;
- Stay in touch with us;
- Clean everything as you wrap/pack;
- Clean and sanitise your new home;
- Keep all essential items handy;
- Buy more packing materials than you need;
- Be kind to yourself and those around you during a stressful time;
- Aim for a start time and establish if there are storage fees for any delays;
- Compile a visual inventory to guard against loss or damage.
- Australian Government Coronavirus Health Alert
- Australian Furniture Remover Association
- NSW Fair Trading: Removalists
- Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC)
Why Choose Us:
- Packing cartons are supplied free
- Prepacking and optional unpacking by our professional staff, if required
- Local Moves – no travel costs on the NSW Central Coast (Conditions Apply)
- Time is charged from doors open to doors closed
- Porta Robes available on request
- Boxes For Sale – Free with a refundable deposit if you move with us, at a reasonable cost if you don’t, as well as: Tape, bubble wrap, paper
- Cleaning – We have a service that can provide a professional whisk through to a complete sanitised clean to meet any requirements. Yard work is also available.
The information in this article is accurate at the time of publication. But the situation is constantly changing. Keep an eye out for government updates or call the national Coronavirus helpline on 1800 020 080.
For more information on Gentle Giant’s moving services, please call us on 0404 958 455