Moving out for the first time is a big deal. It can be exciting and nerve-wracking, rewarding and depressing. But most of all it’s an experience that will change your life forever.
We’ve put together a ‘Moving Out For the First Time’ checklist! Designed to help people who are moving out for the first time figure out what they need to know to ensure their move goes as smoothly as possible.
What to do before moving out for the first time
There are a few things you should do before moving out for the first time in order to make the process smoother.
Firstly, you should create a budget and figure out how much money you will need to live on each month. This includes both your rent/mortgage and your living expenses. You should also create a list of all the bills you will need to pay each month, such as rent, utilities, internet, and phone bill. You’ll also need to consider moving expenses, such as hiring a moving company and buying packing supplies.
You should also create a moving calendar. First moves can be very hectic and it’s easy to forget something important. Having a calendar will help you keep track of what needs to be done when.
Make sure you inform all of your important contacts of your new address and phone number. You can view our change of address checklist here. This includes your bank, employer, and insurance company. And of course your family and friends too!
How to pack for your first move
Packing for your first move can be daunting. But following these simple steps can make the process a lot easier.
- Start by packing the items you won’t need until after you move. This includes things like winter clothes or holiday decorations.
- Next, start packing the items you use most often. This could include things like your kitchen utensils or bathroom toiletries.
- Pack the heavier items last. This includes things like books, your television, and your sofa.
- When packing boxes, make sure you pack them tightly so that they don’t break during transit. You can use packing peanuts, bubble wrap, or newspapers to protect your belongings.
- Label each box with its contents and the room it belongs in. This will make unpacking a lot easier once you get to your new home.
For a more in-depth guide, check out our blog on moving house packing tips.
How to move your belongings
If you’re moving for the first time, you may be wondering how to move your belongings. And the answer is: it depends on what type of move you’re doing.
If you’re hiring a removal company, they will usually provide all of the packing supplies and transport your belongings for you. All you need to do is pack your boxes and mark them with what’s inside. The removal company will then transport your belongings to your new home and unpack them for you.
If you’re moving all by yourself, you’ll need to hire a truck and pack all of your belongings into it. This can be a lot of work, especially for people with no experience moving before. If you do go this route, our moving house checklist is a great place to start.
However, we strongly recommend using a removalist for your first move. At Gentle Giant Removals & Relocations, we make the moving process as simple as possible for first-time movers. So if you’re looking for removalists on the Central Coast, Newcastle, or in surrounding areas, give us a call today.
What to do after you move into your first home
Now that you’ve moved into your new home, it’s time to get settled in.
The first thing you should do is unpack all of your belongings and put them in their proper place. This includes unpacking your boxes and putting your furniture in the right rooms.
Next, you should set up your internet, phone, and utilities. This can usually be done by contacting the service providers and giving them your new address.
Then, it’s time to start decorating! This can be a lot of fun, but it can also be expensive. So make sure you set a budget and stick to it.
Finally, don’t forget to stock up on your household essentials. This includes things like toilet paper, shampoo, and laundry detergent.
Moving into your first home can be an exciting (and sometimes overwhelming) experience. But by following these simple steps, you can make the process a lot easier. Good luck!
Tips for settling down into your new home
Adjusting to life in your new home can often take a bit of time, but with these helpful tips, you’ll be feeling right at home in no time!
- Give yourself some time to adjust. It’s normal to feel a bit overwhelmed when moving into a new place. Just take it one day at a time and before you know it, you’ll be comfortable in your new home.
- Make your new place feel like home. One of the best ways to do this is to personalise it! Hang up your favourite photos and decorate your house with sentimental items that remind you of your old home.
- Get organised. This will make your life much easier once you’re settled in. Set up a system for everything – from your bills to your groceries – and you’ll be able to find everything you need in no time.
- Make friends in your new neighbourhood. This can be a great way to get comfortable in your new home and make connections in your community. Meet new people, go to local events, or join a club or two!
- Take advantage of your new surroundings. If you’re in a new city or town, be sure to explore! There’s plenty to see and do, so get out there and start discovering your new home.
Make Moving Out For the First Time a Smooth Process
Moving into your first home can be an exciting experience, but it can also be a little daunting. By following these simple tips, however, you’ll be able to settle into your new home in no time. Happy moving!If you’re moving into your first home soon and are in need of moving assistance, give our friendly team of expert removalists a call today!